How to register as disabled

Whether you are reviewing and setting your annual sales and marketing plan, or if you.

Whether you are reviewing and setting your annual sales and marketing plan, or if you.

Whether you are reviewing and setting your annual sales and marketing plan, or if you.

How to register as disabled

Wednesday, August 7, 2019

What are the benefits of registering as disabled?

Access to certain facilities such as disabled toilets with a key

Easier access to some concessions, such as a Disabled Person’s Railcard

  • Discounts at some leisure facilities
  • Your  elderly relative may be able to reclaim VAT on specific disability equipment
  • All concessions are discretionary and may vary
  • Registering as disabled will not have any impact on applications for welfare benefits

The process of disability registration varies by local authority so first please contact the appropriate authority by phone, or check out their website for information. You can also talk to your GP

You can register yourself or a relative as disabled if you have a substantial and permanent disability, defined as ‘affecting your ability to complete basic tasks, being dependent on equipment or assistance in many activities of daily life. If you register as disabled, your details will be stored on a confidential database and you will be given a small card as proof of registration. It will not cost  any money to register. This card is a quick and easy way of proving that the holder has a significant disability and needs to use facilities provided for disabled people.

Types of disability registration

There are several different types of disability registration, each with their own way of registering

1. Registration for people who are severely sight-impaired (blind), or sight- impaired (partially sighted)

Please note this process does vary by area so make sure you check with the local authority first. To register, you will need to be certified as sight-impaired (partially sighted), or severely sight-impaired (blind) by a consultant ophthalmologist (eye specialist). If you are already attending an eye hospital or clinic, discuss certification with your specialist. Otherwise, ask your GP to refer you to a consultant ophthalmologist. If the ophthalmologist considers that your are severely sight- impaired, or sight-impaired, they will complete a certificate and send it to you, the GP and to the local authority

If you are registered as Severely Sight Impaired (blind), you automatically qualify for:

  • Blue Badge (disabled parking)
  • Blind Persons Tax Allowance
  • Articles for the Blind service
  • 50% reduction on TV Licence fee
  • London Council’s Taxicard Scheme (if in London)
  • Disabled Person’s Freedom Pass (you will also qualify for this if you are registered as sight-impaired)

2. Registration for people who are hard of hearing or deaf

Please note this process does vary by area so make sure you check with the local authority first. To register, you will need to have a copy of an audio-gram, which shows your level of hearing. If you have not seen an audiologist,contact your GP for a referral to a hospital Audiology department. An Audiologist can send a copy of their audiogram to the local authority, or you can do this. This can then be sent it to the Social Care Direct team. The local authority will then send a registration card to show that you are either

  • Hard of hearing
  • Deaf with speech
  • Deaf without speech

If you are registered as deaf (with or without speech), you qualify for a Disabled Person’s Freedom Pass.

3. Physical disability registration

Please note this process does vary by area so make sure you check with the appropriate local authority first. To be registered as having a physical impairment, you will need to have a diagnosis of a long-term condition, which is supported by your doctor. To register a physical disability, contact Social Care Direct, who will send a form. You must sign this form, to  consent for medical information to be shared with the local authority. Then take the form to the GP, who will complete the necessary details and return the form to their local authority/ Once the local authority has received the completed form, they will issue you with a registration card, with one of the following disability categories:

  • Severe physical disability
  • Appreciable physical disability (moderate)
  • Impaired physical disability (low)

The Blue Badge

A Blue Badge will help you to park close to their destination, either as a passenger or driver. However, the badge is intended for on-street parking only. Off-street car parks, such as those provided in local authority, hospital or supermarket car parks, are governed by separate rules. The badge and its concessions are for their use only and it is a criminal offence for anyone else to use the badge. You can be fined up to £1000. You can now apply or renew a Blue Badge online using the link below if you are resident in England, Scotland or Wales, and you can apply on behalf of the applicant  online blue badge registration. You will first be asked to identify your local authority and give for some personal details to help your local authority deal quickly with your application. This will include your National Insurance Number or Child Reference Number for applicants under 16 years old (which can be found on your Child Benefit award letter) and your driving licence number if you have a driving licence. If you already have a Blue Badge, you need to supply the number, expiry date and the name of the issuing local authority. (These can all be found on the badge). You will also need to provide a passport style photograph as this will appear on the back of the badge. Your photograph will not be on display when the badge is used in the vehicle. The photograph can be submitted with your online application if you have a digital photograph that can be uploaded. Alternatively, you can send a signed photograph to your local authority. At the end of the application form, you will be notified of what you need to do next. This may include sending in proof of your address and your identity. You will be asked for details of your medical condition and the difficulties you have when operating parking meters. If you drive an adapted vehicle you will be asked to provide a photocopy of your insurance details to verify the adaptation. Any information that you supply will be transmitted securely via the government’s internet to the local authority that is responsible for issuing Blue Badges in the area where you live. Your information will only be able to be accessed by the local authority processing your application. A limited amount of information will be accessed by enforcement officers to prevent abuse of the Blue Badge scheme.If you can’t apply online please check with your local authority on their alternative application process. You must return the badge securely to their local authority if the badge has expired, or their medical condition or mobility improves so that they are no longer eligible

Previous Post:
Next Post:

Get in touch!

Enquire Now